International Student Applicants

Progress cannot be made in a College of Education degree or certificate program without fulfilling the following criteria:

PDF Version of this information [link]

Driver's License IDENTIFICATION North Carolina schools require a state issued identification or driver’s license to enter as a volunteer, intern, or employee.  The International Student/Scholar Office has information on obtaining North Carolina identification in their student handbook (
car TRANSPORTATION All students in teacher education programs are responsible for having their own transportation to local schools starting in the first semester of the program to fulfill required clinical observation hours in many classes.  Some previous international students have used taxi services, but this can be expensive.  Occasionally, a clinical observation placement can be made on the mass transit bus route.
photo of calendar

FULL TIME STATUS All international students on F-1 or J-1 visa must enroll in and complete a full course of study while school is in session (fall and spring semesters) and make normal progress towards their degree in order to maintain F-1 or J-1 status in the United States.  A full course of study at UNC Charlotte is nine credits per semester for graduate students which is typically equal to three courses.

photo of classroom

FACE-to-FACE VERSUS ONLINE DEGREE PROGRAMS U.S. Immigration regulations require ALL international students to be enrolled in a minimum number of credit hours each semester in which instruction is carried out face-to-face (six hours for graduate students).  Students should consult with their academic advisors and the International Student/Scholar Office on a regular basis in regard to their academic status and its impact on the immigration status.

photo of Josh Avery

COLLEGE OF EDUCATION CONTACT Please contact Mr. Joshua Avery at ( or

704-687-8727 with additional academic questions regarding meeting international student requirements for degree programs.  All other inquiries regarding international student policies and procedures should be directed to the International Student and Scholar office at 704-687-7781 (